z

Young Writers Society



Reincarnation

by Emily and the Oracle


Chapter One: It

I felt, rather than saw, the light fall onto me. For at the moment I couldn’t see much at all. Nothing but the dim memories and pasts that deluded my mind, poisoned my blood, ate away at my heart.

And I thought- this must be what it is like to die.

In stories, birth is usually the most foreshadowing event. It is either rainy, which is a cliché way to begin life, or it is bright and sunny, which is also cliché. My birth was neither. The winter sun was out, but it in no way made things bright, nor warm or sunny. Instead, it was merely showing the world the dead trees that stood in its way. But it was not an unpleasant day. In fact, though the day was told to me through stony lips and cold eyes, I can imagine it a very good time indeed.

The first child is born. A new life begins.

I was a loud baby. I cried when I was hungry. I cried when I had dirtied my diaper. I cried when I was bored. But mostly I cried for no reason at all. Just to be entertained by the person- I realized later she was my mother- who came running and would pick me up, look me over hurriedly to find the reason I was crying, and, when finding no reason at all, cradled me until I quieted.

Not much else of my new life was significant, until I turned two. Then my baby brother was born.

I have a distinct memory of the many days I sat over his crib, staring into the pink, ugly face, and wondering my little child-ish thoughts about what impish thing had been thrown into my life. Or maybe I had just been told so many times, I only imagined thinking that.

Either way, the imp was in my life, and the imp grew. And since I had been the second most frequent face in its young life, I was its second mother.

I was not pleased that, once it learned to walk, it followed me around. Slowly, clumsily, maybe, but no matter how often I managed to get it out of my site, it somehow came back into it. I was certain that it could somehow smell my trail, like a dog.

“He is your brother, Kathira, call him by his name.” My mother had once chastised me for the name I gave my brother- “it”. So I called my brother the dreaded name- Tod. But whenever it was just me and him, he was it. And thus came the nickname, It.

As years rolled on and it was always just It and I, I learned to love him. Grudgingly, yes, and I would never admit it, not even to myself, but I loved him. The pink, chubby cheeks were soon gone, the bald, wrinkled head replaced by porcelain skin and thick blonde hair. I was not jealous of him, for I was much more stunning. I had ivory skin like his, but I had gotten my father’s black hair. When put together with my emerald green eyes, I could cause heads to turn. And I was only seven.

But the real adventures didn’t begin until I was eight, and It was six.

We had a small yard, but a little less than a mile of woods behind the house. Ever since I could go out of the house unsupervised I’ve wandered around in the woods, discovering little things that made me happy for the time. Pretty rocks, large leaves, a butterfly, a lizard. But I never went out of sight of the house. My brother trailed after me, determinedly climbing over rocks and logs to keep up with me, but having a lot of difficulty with it. I never waited for him, nor did I do anything to make his path easier. These were my woods, and It should have felt privileged to even be in them.

It seemed to know from the beginning not to touch. I could pick up and examine anything, but It could only look. Sometimes I was generous enough to let him look at a pretty caterpillar I found, or perhaps I might even point out a butterfly.

The thing that bugged me the most was that It did not stare at me enviously as I poked at lizards and tried to grab snakes. I wanted It to emulate my capacity, however he simply watched, with a slight piqued interest, but with no obvious desire to feel it for himself. This was the main reason I wandered farther into the woods; I wanted to find something that It would want to touch, that he simply had to feel and examine for himself. And the second reason was that I was just plain curious.

I did it on one of those rare days when we were kept in because it was raining. My mother was busy with It, so I easily snuck out. While my mother thought I was upstairs sleeping, I was actually trudging farther into the woods than I have ever been before.

I didn’t bother stopping to look at anything. Rain pounded down on my head, and within five minutes my sweater was already soaked and rubbing against my arms. Still, I kept walking. I skillfully climbed over rocks and fallen trees, resting sometimes on a sodden tree stump, but never for too long. Finally I reached the long stone wall that marked the usual end of my journeys. Not this time. I carefully tested one rock with my hand, then slowly stepped onto it. With one swift movement I was over the wall and onto the other side.

I was a little disappointed.

I’m not sure what I was expecting. The sky to change color, the whole forest to glow golden and beautiful, maybe spot a new creature I hadn’t seen before. But that wasn’t the case. The woods stayed as gloomy and wet as it was before.

Yet I was determined to find something amazing. I started walking again.

I’m not even sure when it started to happen. I didn’t even know it was happening. My mind started to wander off into another dimension. I didn’t notice my body numb, didn’t notice as the cold sank into my bones, and I stopped shivering, my body deciding it unable to affect anything now.

When I stumbled, I was pulled out of my own universe. My foot had caught on a tree root, sending me flying forward and face planting the moist dirt and leaves. I sat back on my heels, spitting things out of my mouth and wiping the mud from my face. It was then that I realized I could no longer see my house. I sat there, frozen like a deer in headlights, slowly looking around. My eyes continiously widened, until I could widen them no more, and then I simply closed them. I sucked in the cold air, feeling my lungs rattle in my chest slightly. They felt frozen like igloos, and it was hard to make them expand to allow more oxygen in. I coughed, then covered my mouth with my just as frozen hand, trying to warm the air coming into my lungs. It didn’t work.

I started to notice the frost in my bones, the numbness of my arm. I could no longer feel my fingers.

I may not have been the brightest child, in fact I was just barely passing in school. But I knew this meant trouble. And I only knew one thing to do.

I opened my mouth.

And screamed.

I brought the wail out longer than my lungs allowed me to. I hung on to the last, strangled note, and then my breath died, and my voice with it.

I curled up next to the tree that had tripped me, trying to get away from the wind that sent daggers of water onto me. And I laid there, shivering, waiting for someone to come rescue me. Because someone had surely heard me. Hadn’t they?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 31

Donate
Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:33 pm



Esme- After your critique, I said exactly this: "Whooa."

Gave me a headache, it did! But I also nearly fainted with love for you. It made me realize so many things! It annoys me sometimes, my lack of correct grammar and punctuation. Sometimes I just wish literature was all school teaches. Perhaps I'd be more advanced if that was so. But, unfortunately, it is not.

So, I'm getting to work immediately on fixing it, and I'm also going to PM you a question or two :wink: I got a bit confused at some points of your critique. Either way, that was exactly the type of critic I want! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sunny- Thank you! I do realize that it gets difficult to critic after a while because everyone else has. But...er, thank you any ways ^_^;

<3
Emily




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 241

Donate
Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:36 pm
lyrical_sunshine wrote a review...



gah! there are so many young, talented writers here that i am beginning to feel very old and very pathetic. *is depressed*

this was excellent. i can't critique you because everyone else already did lol. but keep it up. your voice and style is beautiful. i especially liked your description of the day she was born. nicely done. looking forward to more.

~Sunny




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 pm
Esmé wrote a review...



Emily,

Welcome to YWS, first of all. I suppose hundreds of people have already said that, but really, who cares? Lol. As always with my crits, line-by-line one will come first and I’ll save impressions, likes/dislikes for the end.


Quote:
For at the moment I couldn’t see much at all. No…not much at all.

These two sentences have an awkward ring to them. The first, having been started with ‘for’, looks like it lacks a continuation, as if a run-on sentences was split, but then left like, without an attempt to smoothly incorporate it into the story. My advice for you is to consider rephrasing, thus my custom title.

Quote:
In fact, though the day was told to me through stony lips and cold eyes, I can imagine it a very good day indeed.

Up to a point, the repetitive of the word ‘day’ is good. But then, after a while and quite a lot of it, it gets tedious. Consider changing some of the ‘day’s into words with a similar meaning, while still letting the repetitive ‘day’ occur. In short, delete two or three.

Quote:
Just to be entertained by the person- who, later in life, I came to find was my mother- who came running and would pick me up,

I don’t really like the use of the hyphens here. Maybe it is because of the fact that you have ‘who’ to times, and it makes the sentence sound a bit awkward.

Quote:
And then my baby brother was born.

I really like how you separated this sentence; it emphasizes the event. However, the ‘and’ ruins the grand effect, Consider deleting it?

Quote:
I have a distinct memory of the many days I sat over his crib, staring into the pink, ugly face, and wondering my little child-ish thoughts about what impish thing had been thrown into my life.
I don’t like the usage of ‘child-ish’. If it is not a word, do not use it. Also, reread the last part of the above sentence, and you will find, I think, a missing consonant.

Quote:
Or maybe I had just been told so many times, and I only imagined thinking that.

Awkward sentence alert, or something of the sort. It’s as if something were missing up there… Consider - no, not rephrasing - but doing something with that. If you read it oyt loud then perhaps you will see what I see. If not, then it’ll just be my paranoia.

Quote:
Either way, the imp was in my life, and the imp grew.

Nice, very nice, but the effect that the word ‘imp’ gives is ruined by the fact that you have ‘impish’ above. Consider using a different word wit a similar meaning for the latter.

Quote:
Slowly, clumsily, maybe, but no matter how often I managed to get it out of my site, it somehow appeared back into it.
‘Back into it’… Does that sound awkward to you, too, or is it the paranoia again?

Quote:
The pink, chubby cheeks were soon gone, the bald, wrinkled head, replaced by porcelain skin and thick blonde hair.

Wah, commas. One is not needed.

Quote:
I had porcelain skin like his,

‘Porcelain’? Again?

Quote:
We had a small yard, but we had a little less than a mile of woods behind the house.
‘We had’ ‘we had’.

Quote:
Ever since I could go out of the house unsupervised I’ve wandered around in the woods,

Sudden time change.

Quote:
I wanted It to emulate my capacity, but he simply watched, with a slight piqued interest, but with no obvious desire to feel it for himself.

Two times ‘but’

Quote:
Skillfully climbing over rocks and fallen trees, resting sometimes on a sodden tree stump, but never for too long.

With the sentence structure that you have up there, somewhere an ‘I blah blah’ is needed.

Quote:
Yet, I was determined to find something amazing.

No comma.

Quote:
My mind started to wander off, into another dimension.

No comma as it is.

Quote:
The first time I stumbled pulled me out of my universe.

Unclear.

Quote:
I opened my mouth.
And screamed.

Hm, I see the grand effect you wanted, but I don’t think it turned out too well. I think it would be better all in one line, albeit, if you wish, in two separate sentences. However, this is your piece, not mine.


Okay, so that is the end of the oh-so-very boring stuff. ^_^ Sorry if at times I sounded a little dry, or anything like that. Didn’t want that, really, but as my friends said, my voice as I crit sometimes gets weird. But, enough of me ranting, yes? Because this is not interesting at all.

Firstly, I would like to say that you had an awesome start that really drew me in. The beginning was very nicely done, and as I am the one of many who supports the idea that the first few paragraphs of a story should do just that - you earned a point. But enough, I suppose of the compliments.

Visuals. As in, the visual aspect. You did some mighty weird things with that. O_o What are all those spaced for? I really don’t see the point, am I missing something?

Characters. Loved them. I did, truly. ‘It’, presented by the MC, was positively wonderful. I see the reflection of my own brother in it. Or It. Either way, very nice. And the MC - you managed to portray her character in a very smooth way, and kept the suspense coming.

Ah, yes, the suspense. Another point for ya, my friend. After that powerful beginning of yours, I was afraid you would loose it later on - you didn’t. The text kept my attention at all times and I really am looking forward for more. Please PM me when (notice, not: if) you post more of this.

Voice: See Characters, concerning the MC.

Ending notes. The whole piece was, in my opinion, extremely well-written, and I liked it. You are a very talented writer, and if sometimes I seem a little nitpicky, and thoughts of: Damn, she’s writing an essay about visual, of everything?! Cross you mind - be aware that I am so because of that fact (you being talented). What would be the point, I ask you, of saying that it is brilliant even if it is) and nothing more? No point at all, should someone want to answer the rhetorical question.

Quote:
And I thought- this must be what it is like to die.

I really do love these kind of sentences.

Okay, so that is the end of my little rant-like crit. Hope you enjoy it lol, as much as I enjoyed reading your piece! Fi you have any questions concerning the crit, feel free to PM me. I have the irritating habit of sometimes being incomprehensible.

Cheers,
Esme




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 31

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:05 am



that was fantastic. i loved it, its got great character and potential. i understood the part of your story with Kathira's woods so dont worry, your visuals were pretty good and i loved the way you did the part where shes in the woods. please write more, thats all i have to say. you are very talented keep it up. it was intense and dramatic and now im begging for more! the way you did the beginning, with feeling all like she was going to die held the readers in suspensful attention until you got to that part. awesome!

Thank you very much ^_^;

I think your visuals are amazing. I noticed a few, miniscule most likely typos like "site" instead of "sight" and a few "It's" uncapitilised, but other than that I thought it was wonderful. The imagery was spectacular, and I have to disagree. I think the telling is appropriate for this situation being that it's a more younger, innocent storyteller. It shows the main character's confusion and wonder at how her brother isn't appreciative and amazed at her woods. ARe you going to expand on this? Or is this only I one time thing?

Typos? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I've read through it so many times, how could I have missed some? ^_^; Thank you so much for pointing that out. Also, some of the 'its' aren't supposed to be capitalized...so you should keep that in mind while reading. Some refer to the brother, others refer to inanimate objects.

I still believe I should try and improve the visual, however, because one critic mentioned it, and who knows how many others might have her opinion? So, as my saying goes, 'continiously correct!'

Yes, I definitely am going to expand. I'm working on the third chapter right now, actually. Well, it's a bit on hiatus at the moment since, well, I'm editing the first two.

But, right now, I must critique! -wanders off to forums-

Thank you guys <3
Emily




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:43 am
Polkadots wrote a review...



I think your visuals are amazing. I noticed a few, miniscule most likely typos like "site" instead of "sight" and a few "It's" uncapitilised, but other than that I thought it was wonderful. The imagery was spectacular, and I have to disagree. I think the telling is appropriate for this situation being that it's a more younger, innocent storyteller. It shows the main character's confusion and wonder at how her brother isn't appreciative and amazed at her woods. ARe you going to expand on this? Or is this only I one time thing?




User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 135

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:12 am
cat4prowl wrote a review...



that was fantastic. i loved it, its got great character and potential. i understood the part of your story with Kathira's woods so dont worry, your visuals were pretty good and i loved the way you did the part where shes in the woods. please write more, thats all i have to say. you are very talented keep it up. it was intense and dramatic and now im begging for more! the way you did the beginning, with feeling all like she was going to die held the readers in suspensful attention until you got to that part. awesome!




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 31

Donate
Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:35 pm



I see what you mean...I thought I was doing pretty good with visualizing, but I will certainly work on it!

As for the example, not to back talk or critic your critic, but her brother isn't afraid of the things. It's because they are Kathira's woods, and she doesn't want him to touch. So, it's saying he seems to realize this from the beginning.

Though you might have just been using that paragraph randomly to help me ^_^; terribly sorry if that is so.

Either way, I know I've got work to do, because I shouldn't have to explain my story! Dear, oh dear ^_^;;

Thank you so much for the critique. I will get right to work on visuals!

<3
Emily




User avatar
516 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 516

Donate
Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 pm
chocoholic wrote a review...



I really think you've got something going here, but it needs a re-work. First of all, you need to show us what's going on, not just tell us. It gets boring for the reader because it's hard to picture things. For example-

It seemed to know from the beginning not to touch. I could pick up and examine anything, but It could only look. Sometimes I was generous enough to let him look at a pretty caterpillar I found, or perhaps I might even point out a butterfly.


How about-

It knew not to touch. I would pick up all sorts of interesting creatures and examien them, but the Imp would squirm away when ever anything came near him, it's face scrunched up as if it were about to cry. But It looked on at me in amazment. Sometimes, I would let him look at a pretty caterpiller I had found, or point out a butterfly with orange and black wings.


See the difference? I'm not saying mine's amazing, but it's more visual.

But whenever it was just me and him, he was it. And thus came the nickname, It.


Haha! I used to call my little brother It!

I liked this piece, I hope you write more. But be mindful of showing and not telling!





If it wasn't for poetry, I couldn't express myself.
— Rosendorn